Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Good Day For Scones

Hello, dearies. Is it snowing where you are? It is here, but so far there isn't enough for sledding yet, which is WRONG. And I'm getting a cold. Maybe.

Mel mentioned her attempts at making scones without heavy cream, and it reminded me of Sugar's yummy ginger scones, which don't call for it. I asked for the recipe to share with Mel, and Sugar said she'd make them! Things are certainly looking up around here.

Sugar's Yogurt Scones

(recipe clipped by Sugar's mom from...some book on bread, and adjusted a bit here and there. This is half the listed recipe, as it makes too much for us and doesn't keep all that well. This way makes 8 large scones.)

1 1/2 c flour (or use half whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbs butter (1/8 lb, if you buy it in big chunks the way we do)
1 packed Tbs brown sugar
1/2+1/8 c firm yogurt
1 egg
1/4 c ...stuff. The recipe calls for raisins or currants, but since raisins are less than awesome and my body treats currants like DEADLY POISON DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY ALERT POLICE, we use crystallized ginger and nuts, ideally pecans. (We're out of pecans, though, so today we're trying flax seed.)

1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease baking sheet.

2. Sift dry ingredients (flour, soda, powder, salt) together. Cut butter into brown sugar (food processor or pastry cutter) until uniformly blended, resembling coarse meal.

3. Beat yogurt with egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add yogurt and "stuff." Mix minimally ("with swift, decisive strokes." Hot.) until well-blended.

4. Drop by rounded quarter measures onto cookie sheet. [And then it says to brush them with egg, which we never to. When I wheedle, Sugar sprinkles turbinado or other fancy sugar on top. Today, I wheedled.]

5. Bake 12-15 minutes.

Makes 8.



It's taken me longer to type this than it took Sugar to mix up the batter, that's how easy we're talking (or how slow I type). Pictures to come when eating commences! Yay!

ETA:

Here! This photo taken shortly before the scone died a glorious death in my mouth. YumYumYum. Flax seeds are fine -- inoffensive, but not a huge flavor addition. But I like how they feel when I bite them with my front teeth.

Sugar's Yogurt Scone

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, those look delish!

    BTW, I checked out the quiz (just for my amusement) and I Scored as Sparrow

    You are Sparrow! You've been distracted from your usual spiritual pursuits by work and family. Get your hubby to babysit one night a week while you study Buddhist meditation at the local sangha.


    I guess I really am straight...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you and Kym are meant for each other! (Stuart is Sparrow's husband. But they're not exactly straight...it's confusing. But well worth a read.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my G-d--that looks divine. But we have no yogurt in the house. Waaaaah! And you know that by the time we can go to the store, all these craving will be gone. But right now? All I want is scones. I'm saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally going to try making these with my home made yogurt! Did you know you can make a gallon of organic yogurt for like $7.00 in the crockpot? Subsequent batches are cheaper if you keep some of your own starter from your previous batch. I'm addicted. We go through tons of yogurt because we make smoothies and such. YUM!

    I'm excited to have a new use for my yogurt!

    ReplyDelete