Monday, May 17, 2010

Choose Glory

Y'all, reunion was more than I could have dreamed. I feel loved and reinvigorated, and I wish I could give you all the gift of feeling the way I have felt for the past several days.

What I can do is urge you to find time to listen to this commencement speech, the best I have ever heard. At a time in my life when so many things aren't going as I would like, when I often feel that I am not living up to the potential of my mind (or body) because I am not surrounded by the accolades and riches (and babies) I envy, this was just the reminder I needed that striving counts more than winning.

Even if you're not a Rachel Maddow fan, even if your politics and mine are only distantly related, I believe this speech will make your heart glad.

Oh, stop reading my ramblings and listen: http://www.smith.edu/video/commencement2010.php




(A new Come and Eat post will go up tonight.)

7 comments:

  1. What an odd coincidence--MY weekend featured two utterly awful commencement addresses, someone telling me about the existence of the double down sandwich (oh blissful ignorance!), and some destroying of saloons!

    That was indeed a wonderful address. Thank you for sharing it! I can be happy with glory over fame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, that.
    Me too, I do it for the glory and I regret nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really a great commencement speech. Glad you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I love that speech a lot. I read it, but I'm sure listening to it would make it even more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you had a good time, and that you are feeling loved and reinvigorated. And that was a fantastic speech!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The speech was fantastic -- and Rachel Maddow makes it even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete