Thursday, July 8, 2010

Practicing Belief

Thank you again for all your kind congratulations and general huzzahing. I have read and reread the comments an embarrassing number of times. You are lovely.

Not much new to report around here. Crampiness seems to have tapered off. Have flirted with nausea a few times, but nothing serious yet. Might be having some new strangeness vis-a-vis temperature regulation, but it could be just that it's sensationally hot around lately. Progesterone has me sleeping like a drugged kitten.

I will but tease you with the suggestion that changes are afoot in the nipple region.

We will go in for a second beta on Saturday. Part of me is, of course, steeling for bad news. Why shouldn't the news be bad? Plenty of other news has been, for plenty of people. And just because my body has seemed pregnant this week doesn't mean everything couldn't be going south...right...NOW.

On the other hand, why shouldn't the news be good? People do have babies, after all, or at least that is the rumor. Pregnancies progress normally. Embryos become fetuses become infants. These things happen. To plenty of people, as well.

Since I can't know and there's not a thing I can do at this point to influence the situation (at least positively), I am for now practicing believing that the news will be good. Practicing believing there is a living tadpole of a creature in me now, that it will stay put and grow appropriately and come to meet us after a sufficient number of weeks.

Practicing believing those things doesn't make them true, of course, but it's a lot nicer than my usual habit, which is to practice believing everything will go terribly wrong. So I will spend tomorrow and at least half of Saturday doing that.

And staring at my nipples.


17 comments:

  1. I like the positive attitude! I am concerned that you're off to stare at nipples :P

    Hoping for the best, fingers crossed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my last post of congrats got eaten by the blog gods so ill re-post my excitement! Whooho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will practice believing positive tadpole thoughts with you! i'd say that'd help with the nipple staring but that could be construed as creepy, and i'm anything but creepy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And poking your boobs to see if they still hurt the same?
    Believing right along with you that things Saturday will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm practicing too. And staring at my nipples :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I keep looking at my boobs to wonder how they got so big...and I'm just starting injections today. I am so thrilled for you. Can't wait to hear about the 2nd beta :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wholeheartedly approve of this plan. And I can't wait to hear loads more about your nipples, for months on end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had practiced the same attitude when I first became pregnant! I spent an inordinate amount of time stressed out. And poking my boobs.

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i approached my wife's current pregnancy the same way (after worrying through mine) - i am CHOSING to believe all will be fine.

    looking forward to the good doubling news on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just for the record, I'm totally confident that my wife's pregnancy will turn out wonderfully . . . possibly this is horribly naive, but for now I'm just going with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thrilled for you...and, like Sugar said, I am completely confident things will turn out wonderfully for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm new here & frankly I'm not even sure how I got here. I tend to click on random fun sounding blog titles. In any case, congrats on your pregnancy!

    I just wanted to say that although I hope your Sat beta is everything you want it will be, don't fret too much if it's not. My wife's betas didn't have a 48hr doubling time until our 5th beta at 18dp5dt. I was SO freaked out. Everyone I knew with a viable pregnancy had a quickly doubling number. Surely something was wrong with our brand new pregnancy. Boy was I wrong. Slow numbers be damned, we hit the baby jackpot! Moral of the story? Good luck, but remember numbers aren't everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I"m so behind on the commenting! You know I'll be obsessively refreshing my Google reader on my phone tomorrow, so definitely keep us all posted. And of course it's going to be great news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Good luck with the 2nd beta. And I fully understand the nip obsession. My norks have had similar attention. In fact I caught myself not so subtlety giving them a tweak to ensure their still perkiness just the other day. Woops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keeping the faith with you - grow, little tadpole, grow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for posting... kinda feeling the same, have my second beta on Monday...but just feel all that is happening is to good to be true. I will practice believing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooooh! It's Saturday! & I am thinking of ya'll lots and lots and looking forward to the good news.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete